I make biscuits on the weekend so Roth and I can make breakfast sandwiches during the week. I make little egg cups and bacon to go along with the biscuits, it makes for an inexpensive and quick breakfast for the work week.
I love this recipe because it is so easy to make!
2 cups all purpose flour (Additional 1/4 cup for counter)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup frozen butter (1 stick)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Sift all dry ingredients together, set aside until needed.
- Grate frozen butter with a large cheese grater, place grated butter back in freezer to get cold. Leave the left over nub to the side for later. Butter must be really cold for this biscuit recipe.
- Add frozen grated butter to the flour mixture and mix with a fork or a pastry blender until the flour and butter are pea sized.
- Add cold buttermilk to the flour and butter and continue to mix with fork until a dough starts to form.
- Once the dough starts to form finish pulling it together with your hands.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, press the dough into a rectangle and fold over into three. Repeat this step several times until the dough has plenty of layers. (Try not to use your hands for too long you want that butter to stay solid)
- Place leftover butter into a microwave safe bowl and melt.
- Cut the dough into biscuits, shape the biscuits and then place them on baking sheet or cast iron skillet.
- Coat the top of the unbaked biscuits with butter and bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes.